It may be difficult to create a winning content marketing strategy in the face of COVID-19. It’s likely that the strategies you used to succeed before the crisis won’t be as effective in the new normal.
It is not enough to create high-quality content. It is great to learn how to think outside the box and implement new ways of creating content. It won’t work to reinvent the wheel, but it will help to innovate on what is already there.
A well-thought-out content marketing strategy is essential. It should be based on your goals and consumer data, as well as the most popular platforms in your niche, SEO, budget, and other factors.
This article will discuss all the content marketing avenues and best practices that are appropriate for the new normal.
What is an Ecommerce Content Marketing Strategy and How Does It Work?
Content is every word and visual that you create online. This includes your website, blog, and social media posts. It also includes case studies, paid advertisements, and any interaction with online users.
When you create a plan for your content, the strategy part comes in. Your questions should guide your content marketing plan.
1. Your website is your first content
It is not easy to open an online store. There are many things you need to do before you can open an online store. Now that you have identified your products/services, the next big decision is to make those same questions when designing a website. This is your first piece.
First, you need to choose the eCommerce platform best suited for your business. You have the option to build your eCommerce website yourself using any of the many great tools. You can also hire a developer and designer to create your eCommerce site. Whatever choice you make you must be in control.
2. The Latest Content Marketing Trends You Should Consider in 2021
It’s difficult to make your brand stand out in a sea of promotional noise, or ‘noise, in eCommerce. This makes it hard for customers to find what is truly worth their time. Your marketing must be clear and concise, creating content that is relevant to your target audience.
Here are some tips to help you get started.
Take advantage of the power of storytelling. Stories are what make our brains respond to, so we should be more focused on the narrative style.
Stories that are more personal and emotional than simply stating facts are more memorable.
- Instead of rewriting content already in existence, start delivering experiences.
- Do not get bogged down in long-term planning. Many things were canceled by the Coronavirus pandemic, which showed us that the best time to act is now. Content is the same.
- eCommerce is changing fast, introducing new topics that may be of interest to you. It is better to keep up with all the latest news than plan ahead. Make time for relevant information.
- Create a sense of connection. This pandemic created a lot of stress for business owners and altered the way that we communicate with one another. As a content marketer, your goal would be to reach out to potential customers and provide the support they require. Let them know that they are not the only ones struggling with depression and anxiety. Many people are willing to help them.
- Talk to your team Understand your audience’s most pressing concerns. You must get to know your audience to create content that resonates.
- To connect with clients and to understand their needs, schedule biweekly 15 minute chats over coffee.
- To receive feedback regularly, create a Slack channel.
- Get valuable feedback from sales, product, and customer relations teams about the most commonly asked questions.
- Be quick. You run the risk of moving too quickly with your content and missing an opportunity. In these rapidly changing times, it is important to be the first to identify trends.
- Get involved in video production. How about TikTok content promotion? This new platform is a great place to promote your brand, as video content is becoming more popular.
It is not enough to just create content. It is difficult to stand out in a sea of content being posted online every day. It is important to create a promotion strategy and determine the channels that you will use to share your content.
- Repurpose your content. Record webinars with an online video editor (opens in new tab), and upload them to YouTube. Make a series of posts on social media. Your blog posts can be compiled into weekly digests.
- Join online communities like Reddit and LinkedIn. Have you signed up for ClubHouse yet? It’s well worth taking a look.
- Focus your digital marketing efforts on ultra-personalized content. This is similar to rendering personalized customer experiences. Prioritize long-tail keywords over short-tail keywords.
- Use ultra-local content marketing to make it easier to reach local audiences.
- Look for opportunities outside of the US. You may be wrong if you believe that Americans make up the majority of your blog readers. It was true several years ago, but it is now at 53%. Companies are now translating their content into other languages because of this.
3. Identifying topics to cover in your blog
You now know who your target audience is if you answered the above questions. Your job is to show them how you can help solve their problems using your product(s). Here is a quick example of a content strategy:
The Company That Does It Right
If you’re wondering what content strategy for eCommerce is, this can be a good place to start. Your topics should address the needs of your audience and provide value.
Where can you find topics?
- Start with Google. Enter search terms like “news about [your topic]” or other keywords that are related. You might find some topic ideas in the search results.
- See the blogs of your competitors. You can also search using keywords. You can enter keywords and get the top content in your niche.
- Check out the social media accounts for your competitors.
- When you are reading content created by others, consider what you can do to make it better. Think about the potential offshoots that you could create from that content to add value for your audience. You want to create valuable content that is better than theirs.
- Look at vertical niches, which are people who have the same target audience as you. Look at blogs from landscapers and nurseries if you are selling gardening tools. Interior decorator and design blogs are great resources for home decor.
- Here’s an idea. Why not ask your customers about what they’d like to know or learn?
- Search for influencers. Reach out to experts within your field. Look at their blogs and follow them on social media. Participate in discussions and look at what topics they write about. (More on influencers to come).
4. How to Create Amazing Content
You know your audience, you know their online habits and you know the most popular topics in your niche. The real work begins: crafting content that “works” for your blog and social media, as well as your email marketing campaigns.
You will need longer content pieces here. Your goal is to inform, entertain and inspire. These are the pieces you want to drive your audience from other places.
They are looking for interesting content, that makes them “see” more than they read, that is easy to use right now, and that they can share with their communities.
SEO is another important element of your blog content. Google has developed new algorithms that include, more than just keywords.
SEO is much more complex than it used to be and requires a lot of work. You should use SEO tools that have been developed by experts to improve your indexing and ranking.
5. Social Media Marketing Content
It is quite different from a blog. You should use social media platforms to increase brand recognition, build relationships with target audiences, drive traffic to your blog and website. Your SEO will also be affected when you have that traffic.
Facebook is still the most popular social media platform, even though it’s older. It might be worth learning Facebook Live to host video sessions. You should also include user-generated content.
Instagram is a visual medium. If you have amazing images, you can also feature customers who are using the products. These videos are very popular on Instagram. This is another way to build personal relationships with your followers, as conversations can be initiated.
You can provide brief descriptions of the content you have on your eCommerce website or blog, and drive people to those locations. This is a great way for followers to know there’s new content.
Another primarily visual platform. This is where you should be interested. Viewers will tag your products or images and these will appear on their walls.
This will automatically link to your eCommerce product page. This is a backlink and search engines monitor backlinks.
Video is a hugely popular medium with all audiences. Engaging and entertaining videos, such as explainer or how-to videos, can help drive people to your website, blog, or other social media pages. Your videos will be enjoyed by viewers who find them entertaining and informative. They will also share them.
LinkedIn is a professional social network and is better suited for B2B marketing content. LinkedIn is a great option if you are looking to be regarded as an expert in your product area. It is time-consuming and can be a burden.
6. The Promotion Part: You Want Backlinks for Sure
Backlinks are when customers access your website from links placed elsewhere. They are an important SEO factor.
You may not be able to get as many links from your social media platforms that you would like. Links that are from trusted experts and influential people in your niche, however, are valuable. These backlinks are high-value and search engines love them.
7. Become an Expert Yourself
Again, this is a long-term process. There are some things you can do to help this happen.
- Start answering questions on Quora
- Reddit is for people who want to offer value and not just product sales.
- Create podcasts and webinars.
- Continue commenting on related posts.
- You can build trust by creating instructional videos in your niche. You can market it via social media, email marketing, and targeted paid advertising. You’ll find more ways to market your videos in this article.
Are you feeling overwhelmed?
These elements are all important in online content marketing. However, you shouldn’t try to tackle them all simultaneously. Pick one or two strategies to implement, then move on. Your store will be profitable if you are consistent and committed.
Mike Patel is a digital marketing enthusiast, innovator and President of a leading Digital and E-commerce Development Agency in Dallas, Texas. Mike holds a BS, Computer Science degree from Wayne State University and is a key player in the E-commerce development and digital marketing industry since 2004. The scope of technology in his extensive experience of more than 15 years ranges from Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce SEO (Search Engine Optimization), PPC (Pay Per Click) management, E-commerce SEO, Google Shopping Ads and more.