Software applications are managing almost every crucial element of a business. They’re transforming the company models, streamlining substantial processes, and improving how value is delivered to their customers. Hence, custom software- one which compliments the business and adheres to its needs is a must-have.
For building custom software, your business can opt to get an in-house staff or a competent outsourcing partner. While both the alternatives for custom software development have their group of cons and pros, the benefits of Outsourcing software development are overpowering.
But, Outsource software development India might be your best bet, only when you select the ideal technology partner and understand what to expect from them. Here’s a step-by-step guide that will introduce you to the ideal procedure, to begin with, custom software development, and get through it.
Step 1. Picking the Right Technology Partner
A technology partner can do a lot for your company, aside from offering technical help to build a software program. It may lead the way by understanding your business requirements or application idea and transform it into a viable product.
But, finding the right technology partner is a tough nut to crack. With custom software development services gaining so much traction, several mid-level ISVs are found in every geographical zone, claiming to offer an entire customized software solution.
However, before you sign on the dotted line and outsource your software development job to a technology partner, make sure you know what to expect from them. Here’s what an ideal software development partner can do for you.
a. Understand your Business/ Software Idea through You
After you reach out to some tech company for custom applications development, a Business Analyst is aligned to examine the need/objective of your business. In this stage, your business reps must share three aspects in detail:
- Company Thought, which could be as tough as a one-liner, a reference website, or as comprehensive as a list of software features.
- Challenges your company is confronting and how the solution is expected to overcome them.
- How the everyday business or its operations are expected to be influenced by the software, for the good.
b. Requirement Elicitation before Defining Roadmap
The next step is Requirements Elicitation, a custom of researching and discovering the necessities of a platform (software+domain) from customers, clients, and other stakeholders. The objective is to define software workflow and roadmap together:
- Minimum Go-to-Market Time
- Maximum Return-on-Investment (ROI)
- Minimum Risk
Requirements Elicitation comprises:
- Gathering stakeholders for brainstorming to produce numerous new thoughts and to derive themes from them for further analysis.
- Building a focus group with domain experts (or pre-qualified stakeholders) to break down the business requirement to functional business solution.
- Interviewing the company owners to the feature flows, and data have to be assembled for customers and non-customers. Identifying opportunities with assorted upside market forces, and weaknesses on your concept to construct a product with educated decisions that pivot the concept.
- Discussions on various flows to fulfill the business requirement and brainstorming to reach a perfect business workflow.
- Observing the competition and identifying key-features with high business value (must-haves)
- Building story maps and breaking down it into user stories.
Building visible mockups to secure a visual reference and walkthrough of this idea.
c. Roadmap Development [Framing the Business Idea]
After the requirements are accumulated and understood, the next step is structuring the product roadmap. This including:
- Developing your product roadmap and innovation strategy entirely.
- Building and prioritize roadmap with potentially shippable product increment with continuous integration and constant deployment for the live audience.
- Organizing high business value proposition attributes and cover them with cost/time evaluation index.
“25% of technology people said prioritization is the biggest software development challenge at startups.” State of Software Development Report
This entire cycle, where the business analysts discover the requirements & frame them into a comprehensive solution is defined as a Requirement Understanding Document (RUD).
Step 2: Selecting the Right Technology Stack
Maintaining the item scalability & sophistication in mind, future extent, cost, feature-set, third party integrations, a technology stack for custom software development can be described. Other facets that can be considered while choosing a technology pile for your software can comprise:
- Developer community
- Fault tolerance
- Evolution trends
- Documents and specifications
- Cost of maintenance and service
- Load requirements
- Cross-platform coverage
Step 3: Assessing Cost and Timelines for Product Engineering
Based on the technologies stack, feature-set, and future extent of this product, a quote for price and timeline for product development could be defined. In this step, your technology partner can also offer help in analyzing the price and delivery timelines, various breakpoints to release a product increment, etc.
For feasibility study of an idea also to mitigate the risks involved with bringing the entire product to the industry in-a-go, we urge our customers to start with Discover & Frame (D&F) workshop. D&F is a professional consultation program, wherein a company analyst outlines the whole range, user flow, timeline, and cost of developing a marketplace fit product.
Step 4: Product Development and Deployment
Next is the stage where your product is developed, tested, and set up for users. Herein, choosing the right project management methodology lay down the basis for a balanced, on-time delivery of the project and further releases.
Whether a mobile app, web application, or desktop application, Agile methodology and its frameworks for project management are known to bring adaptability and visibility into the growth cycle, thus reducing risks in the project, significantly.
Despite Agile becoming an iterative strategy for growth, it simplifies outsourcing. With the most recent tools available for communication, it’s likely to make custom software development outsourcing perform with Agile methodology. Here is a quick guide on how.
Tips for Attaining an Effective Development Cycle:
- For continuous deployment, development accompanied with CI/CD and DevOps can be helpful in the long run.
- Go-to-market together with the beta release of the product and achieve maximum opinions [positive and negatives].
- Build an easy hypothesis, test (experimentation with the live public), assess results with the market, learn, and improve with feedback.
Step 5: Maintenance, Competition, User Analysis
The process of building software never ends with the installation. Once the product is available on the market because of its target customers, it requires a thorough analysis of how it functions and is received by users.
Analyzing technical and operational gaps in software functionality is vital. This is normally done with analytics tools. Along with application performance, analytics tools enable stakeholders to understand the way the app is received by users to ensure additional enhancements, in terms of UI/UX or features can be done.
Keeping an eye on the competition and upgrading the software accordingly for enhanced user experience is vital. Updating the software with technical improvements, features, or fresh UI/UX can help to stay ahead in the competitive arena.
Planning to Outsource Custom Software Development?
Now that you know the importance of custom software and outsourcing for your business, its the time to begin with it. For more help or queries associated with custom software development, contact Eternal Soft Solutions for your business software development.
Eternal Web Pvt. Ltd. – AWS Consulting Partner company. A professional Custom Web Solution Company based in India established with a vision of providing quality, effective and affordable services to our clients.